The Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit arrested Eliot Cutler without incident on Friday...
The Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit arrested Eliot Cutler without incident on Friday at a home he and his wife share in Brooklin, about 130 miles (210 kilometers) from Portland. The 75-year-old twice ran for governor as an independent, using his personal wealth to pay for the two unsuccessful campaigns.
Cutler's attorney, Walt McKee, declined to comment to The Associated Press on Saturday.
Warrants were executed on two of Cutler's homes earlier in the week. The counts correspond with crimes authorities said Cutler committed from December through March.
However, materials were still being reviewed, and Hancock County District Attorney Matthew Foster has said it “wouldn't surprise me if more charges were on the way.”
Authorities said the investigation into Cutler began with a tip in December. The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children informed Maine State Police that someone in Maine had either downloaded or uploaded a single illegal image.
Cutler now faces four counts of possession of sexually explicit material of a child under 12, prosecutors have said. Each count carries a maximum penalty of five years in prison.
Officials with the jail said they had no information about when Cutler could appear in court.
Cutler is a native of Bangor who has been involved in politics for decades, including a stint working under President Jimmy Carter. He ran for governor of Maine as an independent candidate in 2010 and narrowly lost a multi-candidate race to Republican Paul LePage. LePage would go on to serve two terms as governor and is running again this year.
Cutler's second bid for governor came in 2014, when he came in a distant third.
- February 22, 2023 - Torrential Downpour Receptor - Internet Crimes Against Children COPS - Why is law enforcement so afraid to have its investigative tools tested?
- January 29, 2023 - Law enforcement in child pornography investigations bases accusations on proven to be unreliable computer identification techniques.
- June 10, 2022 - Alaska case USA v Schweir gets government to dismiss all charges which would have required disclosure of...
- April 5, 2022 - Child pornography charges more harsh sentencing potential when the state charges were dismissed...
- April 2, 2022 - Child pornography charges are no respecter of status in the community or past service to the nation or local government.
- April 1, 2022 - Eliot Cutler Arrested - The Maine State Police Computer Crimes Unit arrested Eliot Cutler without incident on Friday...
- March 22, 2022 - A caller to a Houston conservative radio talk show...